I was going to call this post “How to be more grateful.” But I felt like this brazen statement is a better reflection of the frustration I feel with myself sometimes. Especially when I’m being an ungrateful little shit.
We all go through phases in life. Those times when you’re negative and frustrated, and you can’t see the wood through the trees. You know better than to feed the negativity machine, as it will only make things worse. But you just can’t seem to help it.
Whether you’re angry, anxious, frustrated, discouraged, or just plain blah, it helps to be grateful.
In fact, I’ve heard this saying a thousand times: If you’re eternally grateful for all the things you’re blessed with in life, you’ll never be fearful or angry.
When you make a conscious list of the things in life you’re grateful for, it’s a reminder of all that you have, as opposed to all that you don’t.
So to stop being an ungrateful little shit, make lists of all the things you are – in fact – grateful for.
Here’s what I’m grateful for:
- Mark – he’s like the best person in the world. He’s so kind, generous, loving and supportive. He would do anything for me, and I’m so lucky to have him in my life. He also makes me smoothies for breakfast every morning, and dinners every night of the week.
- My family – they gave me the gift of life, and I wouldn’t be here without them. They also cook for me too, and I’m eternally grateful.
- My health – thank the lord I have two legs, two arms, two eyes, 10 fingers, 10 toes, all my organs in tact, and my brain and heart functioning just fine.
- My job – I’m really grateful that I get to work at a place where I feel appreciated for who I am. So few people have that opportunity in life.
- My blog – I’m grateful I have this blog. (Again, thanks Mark for building it for me). It’s just so cathartic to have a place to spill my guts out.
What are you grateful for?